Do any of these statements apply to you?
- Our Executive Leadership Team meetings veer off strategic discussions into tactical fire-fighting
- Our Board and Executive Leaders are not aligned
- Our organization doesn’t use relevant measurements to make decisions
- Our budgeting drives our strategy, rather than our strategy driving our budget.
- Our individual performance plans are disconnected from the overarching strategies of the organization.
- Our employees don’t have “line of sight” to our strategic direction and enterprise-wide objectives
- Our front-line staff see no connection between their day-to-day role and executing our strategy
- Our department heads need to think and lead strategically, even when no one is watching!
The Strategy Management Group helps public, private and nonprofit clients all over the world successfully implement best practices in Strategic Planning and Management, Governance and Board Leadership Development.
Each client we serve has unique needs. We tailor our solutions to fit those needs. We can start from scratch and work with you at any stage of your planning and/or implementation process. We can also build on the strategic foundation that you have already built. Regardless of the scope, we work with you at every stage to build out a sustainable strategic management solution and a timely communications plan to keep internal and externals stakeholders informed and engaged.
We help our clients:
- Organize and assess your current situation by thoroughly reviewing the trends impacting your industry/company, assessing stakeholder expectations and developing a fully prioritized SWOT analysis
- Establish strategic direction by articulating your organization’s vision, mission, core values and overarching goals
- Examine the important drivers of success and formulate strategies to improve your organizational performance
- Identify and articulate strategic objectives to best reach your vision
- Build and implement a strategic management system that best fits your organizational model
- Identify and analyze key performance indicators to measure what matters most
- Achieve organizational alignment, improve strategy communications and cascade strategy through the organization’s tiers of business
- Design dashboards and reports to enable data-driven decision making
- Ensure strategic initiatives and projects are aligned to strategy and designed to drive the right outcomes
- Establish a strategic management calendar to ensure that strategy drives budgeting (and not the reverse)
At the most basic level, our job is to make your job easier. We help busy leaders communicate the need for change, digest information, decide on a coherent path forward, and operationalize their plan. This work has major implications for customers, executives, managers, employees and other stakeholders.
Each time we sit down with a busy leadership team to discuss their strategic planning consulting needs, we are asked questions such as:
How does Strategy Management Group approach a consulting assignment?
From the beginning we recognize available resources are limited. We therefore target our work to those activities that have the greatest benefits to you. We believe improved performance occurs when the purpose of the organization is clearly stated, understood and embraced. Equally important is an inspiring forward looking vision of success. It is our job to facilitate development of needed strategic elements so that improved communication takes place, alignment occurs and results are accomplished.
When a clear vision of success is defined, we facilitate the client through the development of a set of these strategic elements:
- Strategies are the approaches to be operationalized to achieve success
- Objectives are specific outcomes the organization is pursuing
- Measures are indicators of performance
- Targets are specific levels of performance for a defined period of time
- Initiatives are organization wide projects the leadership executes to achieve positive change
How would the process work if we decide to work with SMG?
Every industry and organization are different, and so we always customize our approach to meet the organization’s specific needs. In a general sense, we first seek to understand the organization’s current strategy, strategic needs, leadership perceptions and desired outcomes. Based on this preliminary assessment, we prepare a plan of action to meet the expectations presented. Some clients seek to confirm the overall direction of the organization and a high level action plan to move forward. Other clients want to build a longer term strategy and translate that strategy into a balanced set of objectives, measures, targets and initiatives. In other situations, we are asked to support implementation of the plan that comes from the strategic planning process.
Once the high level approach is planned, our consultants guide leadership teams through a set of practical activities to ensure their investment in strategic thinking, planning and implementation results in concrete achievements. Actually achieving an organization’s strategic goals and objectives is what matters most and we never lose sight of that most important aim.
Where would we get tangible value? How much of our time would it take? What would it cost?
Since every client situation is unique, the time, cost and tangible value for each situation will also vary. Business sector clients value achieving tangible outcomes such as increased shareholder value, revenue or customer loyalty, while public sector and nonprofit clients value improving program or mission effectiveness. Small organizations needing only minor plan updates can turn the corner at minimal costs over the course of days while more complex organizations take more effort.
Please reach out if you would be interested in having one of our expert consultants assess your situation. Or CLICK HERE to take our free Strategic Management Maturity Model assessment, and we will follow up with you to discuss your organization’s specific situation.